One of the most important pieces of dive equipment I always carry with me is my Shearwater Perdix dive computer. In my humble opinion, this is by far the best dive computer on the market. I’ve had it with me on World Record dives with my JJ-CCR, deep cave penetrations in the sinkholes of Southern Thailand, deep wall dives on open circuit Trimix to 170m in Dahab and of course something I always wear when teaching and conducting either the TDI or PADI TecRec technical Diver or Instructor programs.
I’ve used many other brands of dive computer throughout my career as a Dive educator and am widely confident to say I would never use another computer again other than Shearwater. I highly recommend it as I’ve used it in some of the most extreme enviroments and it has never let me down. Not will it let you down if your just starting your dive professional route as a divemaster on your internship. If your interesting in diving rebreathers, caves, sidemount and even trimix, this is the computer for you.
My advice to you when looking at purchasing a dive computer is to ask the people who have used it where you are planning on taking it. Or even better, look at where you see yourself and your diving in a number of years and invest in a computer that will suit that. Sadly, I see so many people invest on a computer based on which brand of computer that dive school’s retail shop stocks and which one the dive school gets the greatest commission on. Be better than that guys, do your research and invest your hard earned money wisely. Listen to the divers out there using them every day, not the car salesman working in the retail shop who has no idea about diving..
Reason I choose the Shearwater Perdix as my go to dive computer for both my recreational and technical diving requirements.
- Multiple Diving modes
– OC Recreational – Three gas nitrox computer with features for the serious recreational diving enthusiast. Includes adaptive safety stop and NDL bar graph
– OC Technical – 5 OC gases Trimix enabled by default
– CC/BO – 5 OC/5 CC gases, Trimix enabled, Constant PO2 for closed circuit
– Gauge – Depth, time, resettable stop watch function, Full dive logging
- High Resolution. Easy to read display – 2.2″ display with vivid, enhanced color range and saturation.
- Thin, low profile design – 30% smaller in volume than the Petrel
– User Replaceable AA Battery – Air, Nitrox, Trimix capable – Quick OC bailout from CC – 3 axis, tilt compensated, digital compass – Decompression – Dive Planning – Buhlmann GF algorithm – Optional VPM-B algorithm – Dive Logging – Upgradeable Firmware – Smart Ready Bluetooth Interface
- Full Colour LED LCD – 260m depth rating – 330g weight
The beauty of this computer is in it’s sheer simplicity. When I’m doing gas switches at 100+m to a leaner diluent gas on my rebreather, I need to confirm the gas switch as quickly and efficiently as possible and the Shearwater allows me to do that with a couple of taps of it’s two button interface. I also use it when teaching recreational programs as well or just cruising the local house reefs on Sidemount for fun.
The Shearwater Perdix is not just a Technical diving computer but a very advanced but easy to use recreational computer as well. A lot cooler than a lot of the basic wrist computers a lot of the newbies are wearing around the rock.
Definitely one of the best purchases I’ve made as a PADI and TDI Dive Professional.
For more information on the Shearwater Perdix. Please get in touch. as I am the dealer for the Shearwater products on Koh Tao. I only endorse and promote products I believe in and this is certainly one of them.
Building Better Divers.