The TDI Helitrox Diver course examines the theory, methods and procedures for planned stage decompression diving utilizing Helium in the breathing mixture. This program is designed as a stand-alone course or it may be taught in conjunction with TDI Advanced Nitrox at the discretion of the instructor.
What will I do?
The objective of this course is to train divers how to plan and conduct a standard staged decompression dive not exceeding a maximum depth of 45 metres / 150 feet. The most common equipment requirements, gear set-up, and decompression techniques are presented. Students are permitted to utilize Enriched Air Nitrox and Helium mixes with no greater than 20% He content, and up to 100% oxygen for decompression diving provided the gas mix is within their current certification level. Breathing gas mixtures containing more than 20% Helium or less than 21% oxygen are not permitted (+/- 1%).
- Minimum age 18
- Certified as an SDI Advanced Diver (with Deep specialty) or TDI Intro to Tech or equivalent
- Certified as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver or equivalent. Student may be enrolled in both the TDI Helitrox and Advanced Nitrox course at the same time
- Provide proof of 50 logged dives
What will I learn.
Advanced decompression dive planning including:
- Gas planning based on equivalent narcotic depths, nitrogen and helium absorption and elimination, CNS and OUT limits, Isobaric Counter diffusion, volume requirements, etc.
- Decompression gas choices
- Tables vs. personal dive computers
- Emergency and contingency planning (equipment failure, omitted decompression, etc)
- Decompression diving procedures
- Equipment selection
- Pre-dive checks and drills
- Stress analysis and mitigation
- Following a decompression schedule
- Gas switching
- Team awareness and communication
- SMB/lift bag deployment
- Proper trim, buoyancy and finning techniques
- Management of multiple decompression/stage cylinders
- Emergency procedures (equipment failures, catastrophic gas loss, omitted decompression, navigational errors, injured/unconscious diver, etc)
- Equipment considerations, cylinder labeling, analyzing trimix nitrox and mixes, and gas blending procedures
TDI HELITROX DIVER MINIMUM CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Satisfactorily complete the TDI Trimix Diver course written examination
- Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently
- Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution